With over 300 sunny days per year and plenty of open desert highway to roam from within the city limits into the Sonoran Desert, Goodyear is a motorcyclist’s haven for year-round riding opportunities. This community of just under 80,000 residents is close to Phoenix and other suburbs of the city. Its location enables riders who like taking their bike to work the chance to ride almost every day of the year to save money on gas typically guzzled by bigger vehicles.
Also with Goodyear being located so close to Phoenix and all of Maricopa County’s other communities, there are many ways to socialize with other motorcyclists. Arizona Bike Week in Scottsdale, area Bike Nights and other big events can be enjoyed throughout the calendar year. There are also plenty of charity, club, retailer and custom shop sponsored rides to fill motorcyclists’ social calendars as much as they want on an ongoing basis.
From 1930 to 1990, Goodyear only grew from a meager population of about 1,300 residents to just over 6,250. But from 1990 to 2015, Goodyear expanded to over 79,000 year-round local residents. This growth is more than 1200 percent in just 25 years. With such rapid growth, traffic also booms. It can be hard for city planners and construction crews to keep up with the challenges this population expansion presents.
In 2015, there were about 200,000 motorcycles registered to Arizona residents. Goodyear has its fair share of these motorcyclists and due to the city’s rapid growth, the number of bikers will only continue to increase.
Of course, safety is foremost when riding your motorcycle. No one gets on their bike believing they will die while out riding for the day, particularly when close to home. But when out on a short trip for errands, going to work, riding to school or otherwise planning to remain within a short distance of their residence is when most fatal motorcycle accidents end riders’ lives, particularly those not wearing a helmet.
When riding your motorcycle, you need to remain aware, cautious and defensive in traffic. You should also wear protective gear, such as long sleeved jacket, pants and a helmet. Your helmet should be Department of Transportation safety approved.
Goodyear and Maricopa County Motorcycle Accidents
Throughout Maricopa County and including Goodyear, about 2000 motorcycle accidents occurred in 2015. In these crashes, riders suffered 1,619 injuries and 86 deaths. Sadly, these statistics of injury and death are not atypical for any given year.
An accident can occur in Goodyear at any time. There is not a day of the week or time of year that is immune to the possibility of a fatal motorcycle crash. As you ride in Goodyear or throughout Maricopa County, you could be in an accident at any time, too. That is, if you have not already experienced one. When you are in a motorcycle accident in Arizona, you will likely need the help of an Arizona personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyer to recover the losses of your crash.
Just like you may need an attorney to help you with the insurance claim of your motorcycle accident in Goodyear, you may also need emergency medical treatment or other medical attention after your wreck. There are multiple hospitals and treatment centers in the community and surrounding areas. These hospitals where motorcycle crash victims are taken for treatment include:
- Abrazo Healthcare
- West Valley Hospital
- Western Regional Medical Center
- Arizona General Hospital
Maricopa County traffic accidents, including motorcycle wrecks, impact the economy to a degree most residents would not expect. In 2015, the total economic cost of traffic accident-related injuries in Maricopa County was $1,067,621,046. Fatalities cost everyone in the county $630,776,160 and property damage added $679,515,330 for a total of $2,377,912,536 in losses for that year. These amounts are paid through state taxes and funds appropriated by the government.
Arizona Motorcycle Accident Statistics
In the 2015 Arizona Crash Facts Summary presented by the Arizona Department of Transportation, the year’s motorcycle crash statistics were reported as follows:
- 2911 motorcycle accidents statewide
- 1827 multi-vehicle accidents
- 1,084 were wrecks of a motorcycle only
- 132 wrecks caused fatalities
- 2329 were injury accidents, as part of which 2497 people were injured and 134 people were killed
- 2704 collisions occurred in urban environments like Goodyear
- 737 accidents were in rural areas
- 150 accidents involved alcohol DUI of a motorcyclist
- 16 accidents involved a motorcyclist’s drug DUI
- 1 accident involved a medicated motorcyclist
- 1395 motorcyclists were without any fault in their accident
- 71 motorcyclists in every 1000 AZ registered bikes will be killed in a motorcycle wreck
Helmets Do Save Lives in Goodyear Motorcycle Accidents
It is true that motorcycle riders aged 18 and over in Goodyear and throughout the state are not required by Arizona law to wear a safety helmet. However, riders and any passengers under 18 years of age must wear a helmet or they will face citations and fines.
You can make the choice to wear a helmet, if you want to ensure you are protected as much as possible against head injury. But wearing a helmet is exclusively your decision to make in the state if you are a legal adult. You have the right and freedom to ride without one.
Below are some 2015 statistics of motorcycle accidents and helmet wear in Arizona:
- 492 riders survived Arizona motorcycle crashes injury-free. But of these, only 85 rode without protection of a helmet.
- 584 riders suffered serious and life-changing injuries. Of these, 300 rode without a helmet.
- 130 riders were killed, 76 of whom were not wearing helmets.
Goodyear Motorcycle Accident Details
Anyone can cause a motorcycle crash. Passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, other motorcycles, bicyclists and even pedestrians can be at fault when a motorcycle crashes. If someone else is shown to have caused the wreck, the injured motorcyclist and other victims can seek compensation for their damages. If you have been in a wreck and are filing a motorcycle accident claim, you need the help of a personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyer to ensure best results for settlement or judgment.
By looking at crash statistics and other data, you can gain some perspective regarding the cause of motorcycle accidents and how to possibly prevent them. If nothing else, this insight can help you try to avoid a motorcycle accident by driving defensively. The following are details of the 2,988 motorcycle accidents that occurred in Arizona during 2015:
- Motorcyclists were not at fault in 1395 accidents
- Speeding was the cause of 846 accidents
- 61 were due to the rider’s failure to yield
- 99 accidents were the fault of riders following other vehicles too closely
- 11 motorcycle riders neglected to stop at a stop sign
- 51 riders ignored a traffic signal
- 28 riders made improper turns
- 25 motorcyclists drove against traffic in an opposing lane
- 7 accidents were blamed on faulty parts or equipment
- 8 riders did not use required equipment
- 8 riders ignored a no passing zone and passed traffic
- 42 riders made unsafe lane changes
- 63 riders veered into an opposing lane of traffic
- 22 motorcycle riders unsafely passed other vehicles
- 16 motorcyclists engaged in distracted driving
Any of the above issues that caused motorcycle wrecks in 2015 can cause problems for you as you ride around Goodyear, Maricopa County and the rest of Arizona. Speeding is obviously one of the most dangerous behaviors for a biker or any vehicle sharing the road with motorcycles.
Of 137 fatal motorcycle accidents in Arizona during 2015, 104 deaths were the motorcyclist’s fault and 33 were another driver’s fault. Speeding was the cause of 44 of the fatal accidents.
There are also various angles from which a vehicle can impact a motorcycle. Most of Arizona’s 2015 motorcycle wrecks were from one of these angles:
- 446 collisions involved a vehicle turning left in front of or into a motorcycle with 26 fatally injured victims
- 622 accidents and 18 fatalities were due to rear-end collisions
- 295 accidents were at a diagonal angle with 19 of these being fatal
- 267 were sideswipe collisions with six fatalities
What to Do When You Are in a Goodyear Motorcycle Accident
A motorcycle accident is extremely traumatic for everyone involved. If you have suffered physical injury in one of these wrecks or if anyone else at the scene is injured, administering first aid should be the highest priority until EMT crews arrive. If you are still able to move well without risking additional pain or injury, there are steps you can take while awaiting police to improve your chances in recovering damages as part of an accident and injury claim.
Even if you are not sure that you will file a claim, you should still try to get important information and take photos of the scene. If you are unable to gain this information, a friend or loved one can take care of it for you:
- Note the accident’s date and time
- Note weather conditions at the time of the accident
- Take photos of the damaged vehicles and accident scene
- Obtain contact information of witnesses and note their observations
- Maintain insurance declarations
- Write your thoughts about how the accident occurred
- Keep all of your accident records in one place, including the police report
- Talk with a motorcycle accident attorney BEFORE signing anything or allowing the insurance company to record you
- Call a Goodyear motorcycle accident attorney now at (602) 691-7278
- Speak to Hirsch & Lyon Accident Law Accident Law BEFORE dealing with any insurance companies
Having a Goodyear Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Will Help
A personal injury claim is the standard means of seeking deserved compensation when someone else is at fault for your motorcycle accident. In fact, most drivers who cause an accident with injuries expect that they will have such a claim filed against them by injured victims. This is why all drivers are required to carry insurance policies for their vehicles. These policies and the insurance companies behind them are how personal injury and motorcycle accident claims are typically paid. Through an attorney-assisted claim, you can recover damages for your injuries, medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, property damage and other expenses.
When you file a claim on your own, the insurance adjuster will try to provide a low settlement. This is how adjusters work, with their own company’s best interests in mind. After all, insurance companies need to remain profitable and are not profiting when they have to pay victims what these injured parties deserve. This is why it is extremely helpful and important to have an experienced personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyer on your side. This lawyer will ensure your settlement is negotiated to include all of your current and future accident costs. If the case must go to trial, your lawyer will be aggressive in court for the judgment you need.
These damages and possibly others as applicable are recoverable through a personal injury and motorcycle accident claim:
- Medical expenses
- Prescription and over-the-counter medication costs
- Imaging study costs, such as for MRIs, CT scans and X-rays
- Hospital bills
- Rehab costs
- Lost income or wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage, motorcycle replacement or repair
- Auto rental
- Towing charges
- Other damages
After your Goodyear motorcycle accident or a crash in other parts of Arizona, you need an experienced Goodyear motorcycle accident attorney. Call the motorcycle accident lawyers of Hirsch & Lyon Accident Law Accident Law at (602) 691-7278 for a free, no-obligation consultation today.